Soon you won’t need to take a driving test at an RTO to get a driving license. The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has issued a notification of the new rule. Under this, candidates who have successfully undergone training at recognized driving centers will not have to take the driving license test again while obtaining DL, they will be exempted from this. However, you will need to pass a test after completing training at the center, which will be electronically recorded for audit.
It has to be renewed after 5 years
A ministry statement said that after taking driving training from such recognized driving centres, it would be helpful for drivers to obtain a driving license. According to the notification, the accreditation granted by the accredited centers will be valid for five years and may be renewed. The duration of the Light Motor Vehicle Driver Driving Course shall be a maximum of 29 hours over four weeks.
This course will be divided into two categories namely theory and practice. The duration of the course for medium and heavy motor vehicles shall be 38 hours in six weeks. Meanwhile, drivers will also be taught important things about better behavior and discipline with other drivers on the road.
Renewal (Revalidation) / Copy of Driving License
- The driving license will be valid till the date written on it.
- An additional 30 days will be allowed for renewal of driving license.
- A driving license holder is exempted from the test if it falls within five years of the date the deadline for renewal expires. But the license becomes valid from the date of renewal.
- Online application for renewal of driving license has to be done. https://parivahan.gov.in
- If applicant is more than 50 years then medical certificate in Form 1 in PDF file must be produced at the time of renewal of vehicle driving license.
- If application is to be made within the period itself then a fee of Rs.200 along with smart card fee of Rs.200 will have to be paid.
- An additional fee of Rs.1000 per year of delay in the deadline shall be payable.
- In case of original driving license of the State or RTO, the NOC of that RTO has to be produced.
To amend driving license details or obtain a copy thereof
- One has to apply online to change the driving license details or get a copy
- In which the original driving license and a fee of Rs.200 will have to be paid.
- In case the applicant has forgotten the original smart card number, he can apply to get its information, in this application he has to pay a fee of Rs.25 along with his name, address, date of birth.
- In case of change of name, address etc. in the driving license, a fee of Rs.200 is required to be paid on a plain paper along with a smart card.
- The NOC of the basic authorization system granting the license has to be attached with the application.
International Driving Permit (IDP)
- Medical certificate in Form 1(A) PDF file has to be submitted along with application in Form 4(A) PDF file for obtaining International Driving License.
- Copy of current driving license. Passport, visa copy and three passport size photographs are required to be attached with the application.
- A fee of Rs.1000 has to be paid for this purpose.
- Permits are issued for a period of one year or during the validity of the driving license whichever is earlier.
- International driving license cannot be duplicated or renewed after expiry.
- International driving license will not be renewed after expiry.
- It is important to note that such licenses are issued only to Indian citizens and you have to appear in person at the RTO.
Issuance of driving license
The applicant will get the learning license on the same day he appears for the knowledge test.
- The driving license will be sent by speed post to the address indicated in the application by the applicant.
- The International Driving Permit will be issued to the applicant in person.